Shaun Nugent, CEO of Contour Technology, has quite the track record when it comes to brand strategy, consistent business growth and nonstop innovation. Previous endeavors include joining Life Time Fitness as CFO as well as CFO turned CEO at Sun Country Airlines. However, it doesn’t stop there. Shaun is truly someone who aims to shatter the status quo. STSQ is about standing out. It is about going against the grain and pushing limits and boundaries every day, in everything you do.
How does Shaun do it? Here are a few lessons learned and ways to live Shaun shared in his interview with us:
On key learnings for professional success
- Organizations consist of people who are inherently imperfect. It is important to recognize the strengths and weaknesses within each individual that is doing the job for that business and try to take the opportunities and learn from them. It’s true isn’t it? Not everyone is perfect and if you continue to look for the perfect team member you will never find them. Instead, grow from the imperfections you have.
On tactical tools used for ongoing improvement
- Shaun is motivated by profitability. The key is to figure out how to get more from what you’re currently doing. Standing pat isn’t acceptable. You need to try new things to get better. Reach outside of your comfort zone; that’s where the magic happens.
On keys areas every company should be practicing
- The key area most people miss is they believe they know what a customer wants. They don’t spend enough time with their customers or potential customers understanding what they want. It’s not about sending out a survey and getting it back. It’s talking to people by picking up the phone. Shaun makes a great point here; how can you grow from your mistakes and victories if you don’t listen and implement what people want?
- One of the misconceptions is that business leaders know everything. Shaun takes a different approach: he assumes he knows nothing and needs to ask the right questions to learn what his customers and employees want and need. You can never encompass too much knowledge, right? Knowledge is power. Get to know what your customers need and growth will come.
The lessons mentioned above are just a few of the many Shaun discusses in his interview. Additional ideas, thoughts and advice Shaun dishes out include:
- Risk-taking in business
- Keys to successful branding
- Impactful Mentors
- Importance of STSQ in the business setting
- Mistakes companies are making today
Shaun shared how he shatters the status quo; now it’s your turn. What are your key learnings for professional success? Or what role do you feel risk-taking plays in business? Let us know in the comments section below.
Curious what else Shaun discussed with us? Download his STSQ Interview to find out.